One of the things that we’re always asked is to provide some performance metrics for the adapter. This is always something I’m loathe to do. Raw performance numbers are almost always meaningless in the real world; it depends on too many things, the complexity of your environment, the quality of the network, what type of processing that you’re actually doing.
Continue reading Performance testing the adapter
JMS is the messaging platform that the adapter is almost always deployed against. Getting the adapter to work in a consistent way with a number of JMS Providers; some of which aren’t as compliant as others; has been key goal of ours for a long time. We’re at the stage where I’m happy that the features provided by the adapter allow us to work in a consistent manner with almost any JMS Provider.
Continue reading JMS Connections in the adapter
I’ve had a new virtual server (CentOS 6.x) commissioned to run as a jenkins slave. After installing all the pre-requisites on the box and configuring various build properties; I started a standard build of the framework on the machine. The build works, but it’s extremely slow.
Continue reading Slow Java Crypto Performance on Linux
I started doing Assembly, then C, dabbled in COBOL for a while so I’ve always had to have a build/compile step as of my development workflow. Working with Java hasn’t been anything different, you use ant or maven to compile your source files and then run your tests. Lately I’ve been reading more and more about people hating java and their myriad reasons for that. I don’t think I have anything to add around that subject other than more invective so I shan’t. I happen to know few languages and I just choose the best one for the job at hand, just do the work. Java has it’s idiosyncrasies, but if your reason for hating java is that until recently you couldn’t do a switch statement with Strings; you shouldn’t hate java, you should hate yourself for being a programmer who likes switch statements ;).
Continue reading To Build or Not to Build
Recently we upgraded redmine from 1.1.2 to 1.4.2. It was an activity that I had planned for a long time, but as usual things get in the way of doing that. Redmine, perhaps ruby on rails makes that easy for you, has a very well documented path for upgrades so the upgrade itself didn’t take very long, about half an hour. Of course I had run through the process already on a different machine to make sure we weren’t going to hit any odd snags due to the platform / ruby versions or whatever.
Continue reading Upgrading to Redmine 1.4 on CentOS 5