Setting up CentOS-6 Just So

How I setup CentOS 6

The infrastructure team that we have at Adaptris is great; but sometimes when they setup a new vm image for me, there’s some things that are not quite right. I guess it’s because I’m a very particular kind of guy when it comes to how machines are setup. I thought that I’d write about how the development machines are setup. They’re setup just so which means that I can get working on them straight away1.

  1. By the time I’ve finished all of this I’m happy that I can install java/ant/maven on the machine and it’ll work to my satisfaction. ↩︎

Continue reading Setting up CentOS-6 Just So

Metadata as Parameters to Stylesheets

How to pass parameters into a stylesheet when you’re using an adapter

I’m never really been all that interested in data manipulation; one of my stock phrases is it’s just data1. From an integration perspective I might never understand the business semantics around each field in your data file. The critical part of our work is to make sure that your data gets out of System A, and gets to System B in the right format. For me, the interesting part is always understanding the esoteric limitations or complexities around the communications protocol rather than the data formatting itself. This probably goes back to messing around with protocol analyzers and gender benders (not that kind; the kind that you fit to an RS232 port) when I first started.

  1. According to company lore there are quite a number of features and behaviours that are ascribed to my personality; like all things that other people say about you, I can’t quite see it myself. Still I have found myself saying It’s just data on more than one occasion. ↩︎

Continue reading Metadata as Parameters to Stylesheets

The Perils Of Open Proxies

I setup an open proxy by mistake, and used iptables to filter out rogue connections

Once upon a time, a very long ago now, about last Friday, I was provisioning some new VM images kindly provided to me by our infrastructure team. Apparently I have my own dedicated ESX server (admittedly running on some old hardware they had lying around) with which to play around to my heart’s content. That environment is intended to be a replacement for this server; but truth be told I haven’t had time to migrate all the services running on this machine over. In fact I’m currently having trouble making hudson run the unit tests.

Continue reading The Perils Of Open Proxies

Dynamically switching XSLT processing engines

Setting up the adapter to use both XSLT 1.0 and 2.0 in the same JVM

At the moment, for legacy reasons, the adapter ships with Xalan as the XSLT transformation engine. There are still a lot of stylesheets out that that won’t work with XSLT 2.0. If your environment is XSLT2.0 only then our recommendation has always been to switch the default transformer factory to something like Saxon using the appropriate JVM system property on the commandline : -Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl but this makes all the transforms use saxon as the XSLT processing engine.

Continue reading Dynamically switching XSLT processing engines

Embedded Scripting part 2

Using a jruby script to re-format EDI messages

This week I had the first real use case for embedding a script inside an adapter workflow. In one particular instance we were actually receiving EDI files that were terminated by an odd character; od and hexdump thought it was \0205 (0x85) but when we read the file in using a java test stub it turned out to be 0xffffff85 which was annoying to say the least.

Continue reading Embedded Scripting part 2


©. All rights reserved.

Powered by Hydejack v6.6.1